Like many of you, I really like having the 'time' to go 'Op -Shopping' (which actually means..'not having the kids with me so I can peruse my wee heart out, without fear of one of them - or me, having a meltdown in the shop).
I spied it from across the room and knew that I must buy it.
A bright purple Crocheted Cardigan!
I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do with a massive bright purple crocheted cardigan.
It was woollen and heavy. Someone made this! Someone took the time, passion and energy to make it. Someone who liked the colour purple and flowery perfume.*
After seeing so many re-fashioning posts on many blogs and enquiring as to how this was done I had a vague understanding of the 'you just start cutting & don't be scared approach'.
I knew eventually I would do something to it but, for now I was lacking the 'creative vision' that was required. I felt that I should at least have a plan for this fabulous purple creation given the energy it took an unknown person to make it.
Whilst I may have been (at this point) lacking 'creative vision', I wasn't lacking a washing machine, several tennis balls and pairs of thongs.
So, the massive bright purple crocheted cardigan was felted - it required two 'sessions' to get it done and then when I cut off the arms I realised they needed their own special extra 'session' in the felting machine, as they started to unravel!
I am still working away from home several days a week, and this week I decided it was time to do something to this cardigan ..
The arm holes were too tight now for me to wear as a cardigan so I cut them off.
After the felting process it was too short now so I cut the arms along the length and attached them to the bottom of the cardigan. I like the 'choppy chunky' look of the reverse seam along the base.
The centre buttons came off in the washing machine so I didn't need to think about those.
It was clear this was going to be a vest and I wanted the centre closed.
I took the section at the back - the bit that attached at the sides and drew in the waist at the back (so sorry, I clearly am lacking the correct term for this bit). Anyway I sewed that down the front to join the two sections together.
I removed the pocket 'flaps' as I figured it was looking fairly 'bulky' by now and did't want to add to it.
The back of the cardi'/vest was still quite plain and it wasn't fitting snuggly around my mid bits.
I could hear the wise words of women who have inspired and encouraged me to try re-fashioning and so, with heart in mouth I 'just had a go'.
Here is the end result. I think I like it although, it is a little odd but aren't we all!
Today it is getting a public wearing. I shall keep note of the odd looks I receive.
I am venturing off to work again today for several days and I have been given homework to complete in the vain attempt to improve my relationship with the sewing machine and actually - eventually create something that I can wear.
I'm hoping for an 'A'!
* I am sorry, I forgot to take a pre-felting and pre arm removal photograph.