Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Creative Space - Love Stuff

Love.
The word alone can summon all manner of emotion which can translate into many forms of physical expression.

The butterflies in your belly because you're 'in love', the heart wrenching ache when your 'Love' is unrequited and a quiet warm knowing of 'I am loved'. There are many kinds of love.

My friend is soon to marry the man that she loves.
She love love loves him and wants everyone to know, and wants her 'people' whom she/they hold closest to witness the formalising of this love by the guy in the suit.

My friend wants me to sing for them.......
However, she has left the choice of song up to me. Not the easiest task really as there are just so many.
So dear bloggers I am asking you -
"What is your choice of love song?"
I am seeking ideas, the song can be whatever you like, whatever makes you think 'love'.

At my wedding, our friend sang for us 'First Day of My Life' by Bright Eyes. (Please indulge yourself, click on the link and spend three minutes smiling and feeling your heart bubble about in your chest - you'll smile I promise).
Ours was not your usual 'wedding type song'.. But that was our choice we loved and still love it.

I seek song ideas of all styles, types, genres - At best I will have a guitarist to accompany me, at worst I will be A cappella.

So please please please help me and let me know what you have in your "love song cupboard'.

I really need some help with this.

Cheers & I hope your day is full of LOVE
Scoot on over to Kirtsy's today to see who else has things to show and tell today.

15 comments:

Nikki said...

Ohhh, how lovely for your friend to ask you to sing on her love love love filled day. It must make you feel very love love loved!

Of course my suggestion would be a Kanvas Grey song which of course (!!!) was sung at our wedding.

It's a bit tricky that she left it up to you. So often people want songs that mean something to them.. so she really gave you no suggestions??

Beck said...

Yes, this is called passing the buck! I'm sure it really means she has faith in your judgement and knows you will come up with something really special. We didn't have a song at our wedding but my brother read out the Owl and the Pussycat. Funny. I will keep thinking today as I can't come up with anything at the moment. I'm sure you will get some good ideas though! Good luck sweetie xo

yardage girl said...

Hmmmm ... our wedding song is twelve years old now, but I still love it - the words are enchanting: "Even when I'm sleeping" by Leonardo's Bride. Good luck choosing - tricky one!

Kirsty said...

Such an honour. I've come up blank but will be sure to pop back if I have a stroke of genius.

Unknown said...

I am horrible with these tasks, sorry not much help. but I loved your post and can see why your friend has trusted you with this task..:)

Sally said...

My man & I like Ben Harper's "You look like gold to me" ... but we're not married & perhaps that is why?!?!

Cindy said...

Ben Harper's "Beloved One" was the first that came to mind. Love the heart shaped cloud...

Kylie said...

We got married in a park and friends sang There's Power in the Union and a Guatemalan love song I can't remember the name of now... It was so lovely :) K

Unknown said...

At our wedding my husband and I read out the John Lennon lyrics Love:

Love is real, real is love,
Love is feeling, feeling love,
Love is wanting to be loved.
Love is touch, touch is love,
Love is reaching, reaching love,
Love is asking to be loved.
Love is you,
You and me,
Love is knowing,
We can be.
Love is free, free is love,
Love is living, living love,
Love is needing to be loved.

thanks for the loveLY inspiration. xo m.

Sandrine said...

What a honour, and a lovely post!
My brother and its band played and sang at our wedding and I have a blank for the surprise song they did for us...We had also Wendy matthew songs for the ceremony...Good luck!

Nettle & Brier said...

At the best wedding I have been to the song was Islands in the
Stream. (sung by Ella Hooper and Troy Cassar-Daley). The worst wedding song- Apple of my Eye and cheesiest wedding song- Robby Williams undoubtably.

But for your friends I'm not sure- is there something they always play on vinyl or talk about. A song they danced to drunkenly when first courting?

I like Martha Wainwrights version of Slave to Love for fun or Something by the Beatles, but it is hard for us to say because we don't know your friends. Good luck all the same:)

midge said...

tough one, but i am sure you feel very honoured, i would if i could sing but sadly i sound like a dying cat.
i love all of the cheesy songs of the love actually sound track.

Gina said...

Well I had to think about this one before leaving a comment. Here's my choice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZ59cCP-uI
It's Ben Folds, 'the luckiest'. It kind of odd, the lyrics aren't obvious, but they're so evocative, they capture something for me of that feeling of 'coming home' to the right person, and they're not sickly-sweet.
At any rate, enjoy listening, and enjoy choosing something to sing!
(Clearly a woman of many talents, Peta).
xx G

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello
Absolutely gorgeous blog!
Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Zane Wooder said...

It most be amazing to marry the man or women of your dreams.

-Zane of ontario honey