Friday, July 3, 2009

Felt Cake -



After declaring that "I could most definitely make some felt play food" when asked by the small girl's kinder teacher, I desperately needed a pattern or at the very least some inspiration.

I am constantly amazed at the speed at which semi-truths can flow oh so freely from my mouth. My face (to those who have functioning eye peepers, does not have the physical ability to match the verbal 'semi-truth')

My lovely friend Sam came to the rescue and gave me some patterns to use - the creator of these is (to the best of my knowledge) Hiromi Hughes www.feltcuisine.com

I didn't create the cake as per the instructions, it is significantly larger than it would have been.

As I am innately lazy, I simply went to a store and bought a cushion insert rather than messing about cutting up foam blocks etc..


I then divided it into 6 pieces (again the laziness thing - it was to have been 8)

I chose a cream coloured felt for the top and sides and a chocolate for the base.

Some 1/2 strawberries on the top, along with some "whipped cream swirls"


"It needs some cream through the middle" said my cafe frequenting cappuccino drinking cake eating friends. So I dutifully added a layer of"cream".


Loads of blanket stitching and a bit of artistic license later.. and

Cake Anyone? It's 'Lite'!




9 comments:

Tania said...

I could just do with a nice relaxing cuppa and a slice of that low calorie beauty! Especially loving the cream swirl whatsits...

Melinda @ Here We Go Loopy Lou said...

I LOVE it!! It really looks good enough to eat!

ladydi said...

My mouth does the very same thing; I have to be very firm with it or it makes all sorts of rash promises. I LOVE your felt cake - it is magnificent, certainly entitling you to kinder mother of the year!

Nikki said...

This looks AMAZING Peta... wow! I love the leyer of cream. I think I want to eat it.

floortje said...

wow that looks tasty! love it.

Unknown said...

I just put fabric cupcakes on my blog and you have that amazing cake let's get together and feed all these hungry bloggers .

Unknown said...

that is so cute ...

Ellieboo said...

Oh my goodness - that cake is stunning !

Treacle Beak said...

Yum Peta, looks like a delicious afternoon tea for the littlies