Back in July I stumbled upon some links to bag patterns thanks to Sandra.
I loved the idea of making a bag from scratch and then came the flood of thoughts of "oohh I could make all sorts of bags for the family and friends for Christmas, birthdays etc" and off I went on my imaginary bag making creative explosion.
The minor snag being that I hadn't quite made friends with the machine yet - in fact I still don't know if we are friends, but 'it' didn't sew my finger this time so I think we are making progress.
Armed with the tutorial/bag pattern of my choice 'the basic messenger bag', I went hunting for fabric.
It is my preference (where possible) to use stuff that has already had some type of a life, so I went to my local 'op-shop' and found some old upholstery fabric.
Whilst I was there I also bought 20 pre-used zips for $1.00! I am not sure why (since I don't know how to put them in), I just thought I could use them at some point in my creative future.
This is where my bag making adventure came to a halt - I got a bit scared by the whole 'following a pattern' (of sorts) idea, and the technicality of machine sewing - given that I am most comfortable with a needle in hand (for felting or hand sewing).
As always, I was encouraged by the 'sew-wise' Nikki to just 'have a go'.
So I did.
I measured, cut, interfaced (that was a whole language learning curve in itself).
Then I embellished.
This is what can happen when you sit cross legged with you embroidery on your knees as you sew!
Whilst the fabric seemed thick and strong enough I worried about the general shape of the bag once it was loaded up with the secret business of woman.
Upon discussing this issue with Nikki-sew-wise - I was sent a link for a bag base tutorial using template plastic.
For this I am very grateful to both Nikki's.
So here it is my very first bag.
As I was so pleased with my attempts so far I thought I push it a bit further...I added on a zip!
I am ridiculously proud of it - and grateful the machine didn't bite me again!.